Monday 30 July 2007

Pony's

The Amazing thing is that even though its been pretty well 35degrees out for the past few days - I've been getting some great work done on my Victoriaville Mall chapter.

As the last few weeks have unfolded and I have been wrestling with this chapter it has felt like quite the uphill struggle, trying to fill in the parts that needed filling while trying not to write too too much.

In a sense the Victoriaville piece has come to stand, in my mind like a companion piece or an updated work of an existing thesis sitting in the Lu Library by a former student named Joe Facca.
Facca's piece is a number of years old, and I felt that It could use an updating. Well, that wasn't the original intention but it did seem like a necessary by-product of writing about the Mall. An updated version, a more complete story, a new meditation.

As I said before, the Thunder Bay archives became a primary source of Materials on this subject, and without them I would not have the details of WWWWW&H the Mall came to be what it is now.


I have been regaling my partner Amy with a litany of all things Victoriaville, often comparing my own written work to food references/ descriptions of cooking and baking processes, I.e., today my paper is like a cookie thats baked to perfection, but instead of chocolate chips, there's chunks of cement - obviously I need to re-evaluate the recipe.


Today though, that cookie is tasting better and the chunks of cement are gone, but I think it's a bit over baked and needs to be reworked a bit, cook it a little less, take out that pinch of salt and add some baking powder. Mmmm - So good I can almost taste it. 1 more day that I think It will be time to switch gears. And almost on time too. As for looking at a rough draft completion date of August 31 - I better pony up.

Yee Haw.

1 comment:

KarliCucumber said...

I love the analogy. I find I think best in terms of metaphors, ect. Perhaps due to my own over-working of my brain for my MA work and non-profit work with the TBEJC. I think I need a break and some cake.