Tuesday 11 September 2007

09/11/07


















Just as the new semester has brought this University to life in the past few days, so to has the sleeping giant of winters wind arisen from a summer of sedation. As I pedaled my bicycle to the office on this brisk morning I was reminded of the threat of winter as an actual force to be reckoned with. Winter as actual rather than the virtual theories of cultured objects that I have been pouring over for the past six months. It seemed fine to poke fun of winter from behind the tepid veil of a Northern Ontario summer, but now, now winter will have its revenge.

In the last few paragraphs of my draft thesis text I wrote of how the heat and light of summer granted me a boon, one that buoyed my writings of winter and ensured that I would never be far from the next sun-rise or warm sunny day. In earnest, I thanked summer for allowing me to complete an otherwise dark and cold subject from sinking under the snow.

Thus in a timely manner I am more than glad that I have at least managed to assemble the major portion of the written work, before this wind carrying a cold rain off Lake Superior decides that its time for the snow to fall.

No comments: